Sunday, December 9, 2007

Noble Canyon/Piedra Blanca


Always loving to check out new trails, this week I ran two National Recreation Trails: on Wednesday the Noble Canyon Trail near San Diego (we were there for a few days this week), 21 miles out/back, and today the Gene Marshall Piedra Blanca Trail closer to home, kinda-sorta near Ojai but really out in the middle of nowhere in the Sespe Wilderness of Los Padres National Forest, 19'ish point-to-point miles. Wednesday I baked in the sun and almost ran out of water; thankfully there was a spigot at the turnaround! Today I ran in about 4 inches of beautiful powdery *snow* -- a rare occurrence where I now live -- and temps in the 40s; however, it was sunny (as evidenced by my sunburned ears). Apart from a group of boy scouts about a half mile from the trailhead, I saw no one else all day. I did see lots of animal tracks -- bobcat, fox, squirrel, rabbit, deer. Always puts a smile on my face to realize how many creatures live out there even though we see very few of them. The trail really felt "out there" and longer than the stated mileage, especially in the lightly traveled middle section which was overgrown, rocky, and very wet -- most of the day the trail paralleled one stream or another -- and since I was solo and kinda skimped on food having thrown my pack together in a hurry last night. Both ends were quite nice trail though! Chris hiked in to meet me on the northern end, and we completed the final 3-4 miles together.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can relate to the heat. Just got back from Sunmart and it was 82 degrees. Sad to say I had a terrible run and Ryne Melcher and myself ended up running about 20 miles together cursing the humidity. It was a cruel joke played on us by the Texans. Still finished second in my age group and got to take home a horse though. I'll put A.C 100 on my list in 09'and hold you to the crewing deal. Right now I'm Taking some time off and then build up to 3 Days again.

RunSueRun said...

Sorry you had a bad day at Sunmart, David. Unfortunately, it happens to all of us at one time or another. AC '09 -- you've got a crew. FWIW, it's been said I'm a great crew but a lousy pacer. :)