Saturday, August 29, 2009

Utah: Hovenweep, Natural Bridges, & Escalante

We spent the last four days of our trip in the incredible canyonlands of southern Utah, specifically some areas we'd never explored, including Hovenweep and Natural Bridges National Monuments, the ever-receding (yay) Lake Powell, and Capitol Reef National Park, as well as a place new to Chris but one I'd visited a few years ago: the wonderful but relatively seldom visited Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. The rock formation and coloration, natural bridges and arches, hoodoos, slot canyons, cliff dwellings, and life were just awesome. My neck almost got whiplashed from rubbernecking the colorful rock. :) This pretty gal posed for us:
At Natural Bridges, it was a lonnng drive to get there, and a lonnng drive outta there but worth every mile. The park loop road is 9 miles, one way. I want to go back one day and run it early in the morning or under a full moon...
Fun trail to one of the bridges. I read "ladders" and said "We're doing this trail!" :)
I like it here.
Easter Island? Nope, Devils Garden off Hole-in-the-Rock Road, GSENM.
Upper Calf Creek Falls. The end of a great vacation. :) :) :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sue, Been awhile. Glad to se that you are still having great adventures. Also glad to see that Salomon picked you up. Good to have you on the team. Though I'm just on the farm team so to speak. Trying to move up. Are you going to do any races back this way here soon? You should come out and try Paul Schoenlaubs and Stewart Johnson's new 100. The Ozark Trail 100 in the Ozarks of Missouri. The first weekend in Nov.
I just got back from what was my training run at the Supierior Trail 50 miler. Man is that new course a real ass buster. Broke the old course record by 6 minutes but finished 3RD. Still it was beautiful and I had a blast. Every painful step of the way. Talk to you later. Take Care..

Anonymous said...

The 100 is still a pont to point. Now the 50 miler is too. From Finland to the finish.

utah0rbust said...

Love your blog -- I stumbled across it looking for GSENM hikes. We live in Southern Utah and I'm also a runner and your life looks amazing!